canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:39 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Canada imposes these same tariffs on European dairy imports as well.

European dairy is also heavily subsidized. Canada has the only system that works IMHO.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
So why is EU dairy okay but US dairy is a threat to Canada's national security?

:| Threat to national security? Turn off the Faux news Bart.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:42 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Also, it looks like Canada fucked over the EU on dairy quotas by giving half of the 'import' quota to Canadian dairies.

Refreshing! Having a government stand up for Canadian agriculture.

180 degree swing from the days of Harper. Destroying the wheat board much to the delight of Canada's competitors, US being one of them, and getting Canada NOTHING in return.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 am

llama66 llama66:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

You put hormones and other shit in your dairy. We do not, much like the Europeans.

As I am reading about CETA seems that one of the points of contention was that Canada wants the EU to allow GMO foods into Europe.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:44 am

Robair Robair:
Refreshing! Having a government stand up for Canadian agriculture.

180 degree swing from the days of Harper. Destroying the wheat board much to the delight of Canada's competitors, US being one of them, and getting Canada NOTHING in return.

Also Refreshing! Having a government stand up for American agriculture.

180 degree swing from the days of Obama. [B-o]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:45 am

fifeboy fifeboy:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Eg: you can't buy 'Gouda' in the store anymore, now it's 'soft ripened cheese'.

Yes you can, I just had some for lunch. It was, however, made in the Netherlands. And it was VERY good.

Exactly! The stuff made in Canada can't be called 'Gouda' because 'Gouda' only comes from the Netherlands under EU law.

The stuff that used to be called 'Gouda' that I get from Costco is now 'Soft Ripened Cheese'. And, it's not bad. ;)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:46 am

Turfing supply management in Canada will not fix American Dairy's problems. It will hardly register as a blip. The demand is fucking retarded yet Trump keeps repeating it.

Want to know why a deal isn't done, that's all you have to look at.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
llama66 llama66:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

You put hormones and other shit in your dairy. We do not, much like the Europeans.

As I am reading about CETA seems that one of the points of contention was that Canada wants the EU to allow GMO foods into Europe.

Monsanto got so deeply into our agribusiness, we have trouble keeping GMO out of crops specifically segregated to go to countries that don't allow GMO. We saw that earlier this year with shipments to Asia.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am

Fuck the EU. If it's a Gouda cheese we'll damn right well call it a Gouda cheese!

https://www.pointreyescheese.com/cheese/gouda

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:53 am

Robair Robair:
Turfing supply management in Canada will not fix American Dairy's problems. It will hardly register as a blip. The demand is fucking retarded yet Trump keeps repeating it.

It just helps Trump to make the point that NAFTA is not about actual free trade.

Oh, and just wait for after the election when he starts taxing you folks for the oil you have processed in the USA.

Right now you get to send it down here tax-free because you pay for the processing and then it gets sent back to Canada for sale. That will change.

It'll also add about CDN$0.30 to a litre of petrol.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Fuck the EU. If it's a Gouda cheese we'll damn right well call it a Gouda cheese!

https://www.pointreyescheese.com/cheese/gouda

Every trade agreement the US negotiates includes that countries will abide by US patent and copyright laws. They were a big stumbling block with the TPP, till the US tapped out.

Just say'n. ;)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:56 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Robair Robair:

It just helps Trump to make the point that NAFTA is not about actual free trade.

Oh, and just wait for after the election when he starts taxing you folks for the oil you have processed in the USA.

Right now you get to send it down here tax-free because you pay for the processing and then it gets sent back to Canada for sale. That will change.

It'll also add about CDN$0.30 to a litre of petrol.

I'm sure the owners of that oil, Exxon, Sunoco, etc. will love that news!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:06 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I can't tell if you're an idiot or if you think I am.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Honestly, if I were Trudeau, I'd table legislation as soon as I got back about voiding all pharma patents originating from the U.S.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Honestly, if I were Trudeau, I'd table legislation as soon as I got back about voiding all pharma patents originating from the U.S.

Wait till Monday. :twisted:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:13 pm

NAFTA stipulates that when it comes to oil, we can't treat the US differently than we do our own country. We can't tax oil to the US unless we apply the same tax in Canada.

There are some components of NAFTA that are not in Canada's interests. Walking away will not be the end of the economy.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next