canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:09 pm

You can't have it both ways though. If you want the rule of law and protocol to be adhered to it needs to be administered uniformly for all not just the ones that are in the good graces of those who make the rules.

We are going to have to realize that voices of those not in power are needed in the halls of power otherwise that legitimacy will be undermined. Ottawa needs people like Qaqqaq more than Qaqqaq needs Ottawa.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:14 pm

llama66 llama66:
Grow up, that has never been claimed or even alluded to... at all. You can put the race card back in the deck.

Making issues about colour, and not actions ensures everything is racialized.

Right now all I see is I'm _______ and this is unfair because I'm ________.

This victimhood culture will be our downfall.

^ THIS.

R=UP

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:43 pm

Scape Scape:
You can't have it both ways though. If you want the rule of law and protocol to be adhered to it needs to be administered uniformly for all not just the ones that are in the good graces of those who make the rules.

We are going to have to realize that voices of those not in power are needed in the halls of power otherwise that legitimacy will be undermined. Ottawa needs people like Qaqqaq more than Qaqqaq needs Ottawa.

I think I said at the outset, her voice is needed. I take exception to Canada is shit because _________. She has the ability to author change, instead she takes a swipe at Canada and ran from the challenge of trying to change the systemic racism that does plague this great nation.

I absolutely believe for a law to be just it MUST apply equally to all parties.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:59 pm

My guess is the real reason behind her not feeling welcome in Ottawa is the hypocrisy that has become a part of the landscape. MP's would applaud her and say she is a strong an independent woman but privately, the people who hold power and could make meaningful policy changes, are dead set against rocking the boat. It's all well and good to make speeches but if you don't back it with actions then all you are doing is defending the status quo. There are cracks in the ice of that hypocrisy and those who dare to proceed without addressing the transgressions of the past will reap a rich harvest of insurrection.

The liberals and the conservatives are both dancing on this precipice. How they deal with the 'undesirables' may vary but the end result is the same.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:07 am

^^^

That.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:18 am

This chasm will never be bridged so long as NO ONE is willing to work with one another. Someone has to start the process. Otherwise nothing will change.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:32 am

llama66 llama66:
Scape Scape:
Fair point, like that reservist who drove his truck loaded with weapons into Rideau Hall.

Good thing he was white am I right? He should have been shot dead for even trying that.

Grow up, that has never been claimed or even alluded to... at all. You can put the race card back in the deck.

Making issues about colour, and not actions ensures everything is racialized.

Right now all I see is I'm _______ and this is unfair because I'm ________.

This victimhood culture will be our downfall.

The race card was never played by the Indigenous peoples. That card was invented and printed by white Europeans, along with an entire philosophy and pseudo-science as to why whites were superior. That card was played many times, against Indigenous people. We can't put the card back into the deck until we acknowledge it, come to terms with it.

WE can't fix the past, but we can't bury it either, because it will rise. Like the discovery of 215 little bodies at they Kamloops residential school. It's not about Indigenous victimhood or white guilt--fact is a lot of people "Colonizers" were escaping starvation, persecution, or were forced here against their will.

Can't we instead imagine a country where we reconcile with our Indigenous peoples and imagine what that would look like. How much better it would be.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:55 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
How much better it would be.

<3

They are just people, the same as all the rest of us, with the same needs and desires.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:27 am

$1:
The race card was never played by the Indigenous peoples.

$1:
And as an Indigenous person, as an Inuk, as a woman here in Canada, I don't see any pride in being a Canadian.

Care to revise your statement?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:31 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

<3

They are just people, the same as all the rest of us, with the same needs and desires.

They are, thus we all need to figure out how to coexist, or lets just get the civil war over with. I'm fucking tired of everything being about race and how all our forefathers were pieces of shit. Fuck, I wish we were faced with such a serious threat we stopped looking at our past and we had to fight to preserve our future.

What's done is done, time to move on. Dwelling in the past is super toxic.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:44 am

llama66 llama66:

I quite agree, but the people it was done to can't move on until we deal with those events. I don't know why some people are afraid of 'reconciliation'. It's not that big a deal. We just have to admit what was done and to whom in our name, and pledge to not do it going forward. And then not actually do it, going forward.

And with all the BS going on around the world, this is a pretty small concern in comparison.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:03 pm

llama66 llama66:
$1:
The race card was never played by the Indigenous peoples.

$1:
And as an Indigenous person, as an Inuk, as a woman here in Canada, I don't see any pride in being a Canadian.

Care to revise your statement?

Sorry I meant to say, the race card was never originally played by Indigenous people. It was invented, and played, by white Europeans who had come up with the notion. Now that is being raised by Indigenous people, it would be much more comfortable to say "Oh, well, that was then, this is now, we're all colourblind now." But that's not how it works. Canada needs to address it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:09 pm

llama66 llama66:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

<3

They are, thus we all need to figure out how to coexist, or lets just get the civil war over with. I'm fucking tired of everything being about race and how all our forefathers were pieces of shit. Fuck, I wish we were faced with such a serious threat we stopped looking at our past and we had to fight to preserve our future.

"What's done is done" is pointless. Should that have been the response of the Germans, after WWII? "Oh well, bygones." Dwelling on the past is toxic. Reconciling with it isn't. I get it; it's not comfortable.

Is your view that different from the woke folk? They want to eradicate the past, to create only a present. Tearing down statues, bowdlerizing literature, cancelling history they don't like.

It's funny, we've come full circle. When I was a young child in England, history was the names of battles and kings. The woke folk of the day changed all that and next thing you know the Vikings were really traders and Genghis Khan an early innovator in the structures of civil society. Now we're back to Horrible History where everyone as a genocidal maniac.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:23 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:13 pm

Scape Scape:
My guess is the real reason behind her not feeling welcome in Ottawa is the hypocrisy that has become a part of the landscape. MP's would applaud her and say she is a strong an independent woman but privately, the people who hold power and could make meaningful policy changes, are dead set against rocking the boat. It's all well and good to make speeches but if you don't back it with actions then all you are doing is defending the status quo.

I don't disagree with her on this, but this is Government 101 in the 21st century, where nothing changes unless a million focus groups and endless research are done to ensure the policy is the workable for a majority of voters. I don't like it, but the alternative is how highly partisan governments do things (Alberta and Ontario right now).

I don't know what the solution is, but something needs to get done, because gridlock doesn't help heal to wounds the indigenous have after centuries of horrible treatment and backstabbing from us (nevermind all the other issues Canada has).

I think I understand where she is coming from, but would echo Llama in saying that she probably could do more as an MP than she will as a private citizen (although as a Dipper her party will almost never form government), and I wish she had stayed in Ottawa to fight for everything that needs fighting for.