bottom

Canadian Forums

Do you get a flu shot?
Yes  31%  [ 11 ]
No  69%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 35

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:24 pm

Do You Get A Flu Shot? Yes or No and why. Is this the first year for you? How many have you had? Do you get one every year?

I have never had a flu shot. I work with people with disabilities and do personal care. I wipe noses and clean feces on a regular basis. I am always careful to wash my hands many times through the day and I wear latex gloves whenever necesary. I try to take care of myself, eat well and get my rest. If I do get sick with a flu it does not last long. I do all the scheduling at my job I am affected when people are sick. I notice that the people who are sick the most are those smoke and drink heavily and do not rest on the weekends. Physical exercise is not something they enjoy. I have heard people say that they have never been so sick as the year they had a flew shot. I have also seen clients with disabilities have better health through winters they have had flu shot than winters they have not. My father is alergic to the egg white material used to deliver the serum and I would not like to experience a reaction. If a vaccine was created for the avian flu I would take that without question. The standard flu that makes you feel like crap for a week does not scare me and I think it is part of being human.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:59 pm

I know what you mean about being able to tough it out is to be human. I have the flu right now and its nothing like any flu I can remember. My arms are stiff as boards and they feel as if they are on fire. I wake up unable to move either my arms or my legs, the pain is sometimes unbareable. All the other things Im used to associating with the flu are barely noticable if apparent at all. I kinda wish I took that flu shot now, then again it should be over soon.

Toughin it out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:12 pm

SwampoO, that sounds terrible. I send you some telepathic chicken soup.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:21 pm

*Dorsey attempts to eat the soup telepathically*

great ... now I got soup in my hair ... Im gonna leave it

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:54 pm

I've never, for as long as I can remember, had a flu shot. I don't get sick very often anyway. I think I've had a cold twice this year? Something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:43 pm

Flu shot pah! I never get sick - ever. It's been 15 years since I missed a day of work due to illness. Although I was going into labour so I don't know if that counts... PDT_Armataz_01_36

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:53 pm

I've had a flu shot every year since winter 97-98. I had the flu twice that winter, but haven't had it since. Gonna go looking for this year's shot soon. Sign me up!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:58 pm

I didn't get the shot until January '98 - allegedly too late in the winter. I got beat up.
I had pneumonia in 83, 85, and 89. I missed some work in 85 and 89 - those were the only two occasions I missed work. (November 89 was good cuz I got to stay home on a Sunday and watch the Riders kick Edmonton's butt in the Western Final before going on to win the Grey Cup.)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:05 pm

I don't get it mainly becuase I'm not in the age range that can die from it.

I don't get colds often but when I do it screws me for a week at least.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:56 pm

I have never had the flu in my life(that I know of) and have only had the cold about 4 or 5 times. It only lasted for a couple of days and for the most part was a stuffy nose and a sore throat . I've had fever and stomach ailments (barfing and the hersey squirts) but never the flu. Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a stomach flu. I had bronchitis a few years ago(the dumbshit doctor gave me ampicillin after I told him I was allergic to penicillen and ended up making me sicker, even though the bronchitis cleared up) and pneumonia when I was 18 mnths old(which is when it was found out I was allergic to penicillen). My eldest son is the same way about influenza and hopefully the youngest will be too. My wife catches sniffles and the occasional cough, but she too avoids the virus.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:59 am

I see it as pointless for healthy people. I can understand if you are a senior (who tend to have a lower immunity to things) or someone with a comprimised immune system such as someone with AIDS or Hepatitus or something along those lines. I avoid even taking cough medicine or anything. The only 'drugs' I take are Tylenol and only when I get migraines (about once every 1.5-2 months). I figure, humans have been on this planet for thousands of years. We have survived everything from the common cold to the plague. Humans are built to survive.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:58 am

Ahhhhhhhh Hell get it.

They come to my work and give it there.

My shot for this year will be Nov 3rd at work.

The worst side effect I have had is a little sore arm for two days.

I can tuff that out.

THE FLU SUCKS !!!!!!!!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:12 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
I have never had the flu in my life(that I know of) and have only had the cold about 4 or 5 times. It only lasted for a couple of days and for the most part was a stuffy nose and a sore throat . I've had fever and stomach ailments (barfing and the hersey squirts) but never the flu. Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a stomach flu. I had bronchitis a few years ago(the dumbshit doctor gave me ampicillin after I told him I was allergic to penicillen and ended up making me sicker, even though the bronchitis cleared up) and pneumonia when I was 18 mnths old(which is when it was found out I was allergic to penicillen). My eldest son is the same way about influenza and hopefully the youngest will be too. My wife catches sniffles and the occasional cough, but she too avoids the virus.

Correct, many people who get the "stomach flu", actually have a case of food poisoning.

I've gotten a flu shot on occasion, but not every year.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:58 am

The flu shot isn't only meant to keep you alive. It also helps prevent you from getting the flu at all, and if it fails that - makes it less miserable and shorter lived. That goes for the healthiest person to sickest person.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:35 am

xerxes xerxes:
I don't get it mainly becuase I'm not in the age range that can die from it.

I don't get colds often but when I do it screws me for a week at least.

[stupid] Yea, colds aren't as bad (pain wise) than many other illness's but they last for so long. I had a cold for 3 weeks back in September. As for the flu shot im not in the age range.