bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:14 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:
Having an address is not a solution to the homeless receiving their GST rebates? (the least of their worries) why?

Having an address doesn't solve all the other issues including mental illness and addiction.
No shit, which is why i suggested the feds putting money from a GST increase toward that. But the discussion was around the GST and your concern for the homeless not getting their rebate checks - an address will certainly solve that issue.

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:
I want to give them what it takes, because the chez soir research has shown doing so actually saves money in medical and policing costs. It just takes up front money to make the program happen, the savings are downstream.

How much will it really save? Are we going to dump billions into a program that effects such a small group of Canadians?
So you don't really care about them at all then. As I said, downstream the program saves money - ie it costs nothing because putting up the money up front means saving more than the initial costs downstream.

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:
AS for what do I do for the homeless, I push for them to be looked after properly, not apply band aids that just perpetuate the situation. I don't give money to panhandlers either. All that does is entrench the problem. You want to pat yourself on the back for whatever little program you're involved in, while being too selfish to raise govt revenues so it can be done properly, feel free. That's what all these private initiatives amount to - ego stroking while perpetuating the misery. Bushinesses/individuals screaming about having to pay taxes, then giving a little bit of money they saved to a cause so they can get their picture in the paper about what do gooders they are. And deducting it on their taxes. Pure bullshit.

Amazing.

All this talk and that's all you do? You push for them to be looked after properly?

Another blow to your credibility.

I don't give money to the homeless. I give my time. Not some private initiative, no tax break or payment required.

Every year, I also take my hockey team to a shelter in down town Toronto to provide meals, sort food and help with the facilities, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Maybe you should try making a difference. I guarantee, you'd do much more good for the people you advocate for if you got off your ass and did something.

Well, that's nice of you. But since you're all about starving the government of revenue and don't want to spend money on "such a small group of people" it seems to me you're crying crocodile tears here. Do you tell them to your face that you're happy to visit with them, but as far as contributing taxes to actually change their situation, not so much?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:14 am

andyt andyt:

Well, that's nice of you. But since you're all about starving the government of revenue and don't want to spend money on "such a small group of people" it seems to me you're crying crocodile tears here. Do you tell them to your face that you're happy to visit with them, but as far as contributing taxes to actually change their situation, not so much?

Not about starving the government at all.

I contribute almost half of what I earn to taxes and donate my time to actually help these people.

Is giving half of what I earn on an annual basis not enough? Because I don't want to give more of the money I work for, I want to 'starve' the government?

What do you do?

Nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:34 pm

martin14 martin14:
Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:

Please acknowledge the distinction between what Paul Martin's fiscal responsibility was and what Trudeau's wouldn't be.

Ok, the mess Martin made was not as big as Trudeau's.

[B-o]

And nobody has made as big a mess as Harper so...