Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:15 pm

Strutz Strutz:
I made butter tarts today. My first attempt more than a week ago did not go that well (9/12 got tossed out) so when we grocery shopped today I got what I needed, found a different recipe to try and they came out much better! I am going to tweak the ingredients a bit next time around though and darn it, will have to keep trying! :lol:

So I tweaked the recipe a few days ago and they were even better! Considering we ate the 12 of them in 2-1/2 days I would say they were enjoyed. :D

I'm going to try another variation of them next time (need tart shells next shop we do) and see how it goes.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:15 pm

[drool]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:13 pm

I estimated that a batch (12) of butter tarts cost around $10 to make. Seems a bit pricey but then we were paying that much for 6 of them from the bakery. I'm sure it would be less if I made my own tart shells (I buy the tenderflake frozen ones) but I never was very good at pastry stuff but mind you, I haven't attempted it for a long time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:17 pm

Ovar an houes drive to get to a decent restaurant, thee are none in town, and it's been a long long time....

So I whipped up a dish of Chicken Paprikash for one and pretended te dog was a guest. Of course he preferred that canned mush but he's a good listener.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:16 am

Heinz 'Deep Brown' beans are now officially tasteless. I assume they stopped adding molasses, so they really can't be called 'deep' brown.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:37 pm

Covered Bridge All Dressed chips. No storm in sight though.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:14 pm

Goddammit. I'm a jinx. [cry]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:23 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:55 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Heinz 'Deep Brown' beans are now officially tasteless. I assume they stopped adding molasses, so they really can't be called 'deep' brown.

Spent a few extra pennies and bought Bushs' Deep Brown Beans. And they are fantastic. I don't know why Heinz is scrimping for a few cents profit, and making their product so bad. I'd rather buy Canadian made Heinz, and not US made Bushs'. But I'd also rather my favourite winter breakfast tasted good.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:29 am

Production, Composition and Nutritional Properties of Organic Milk: A Critical Review

tl;dr - Organic Milk has the highest level of good things, and lowest level of bad things, compared to standard farmed dairy.

ie: the whole point of 'Organic' products.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:52 am

Even Bushs' Vegetarian Baked Beans are better than everything Hienz puts out right now.

Why do they have to suck so bad? I ate them for decades, and they were good.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:00 am

Fish guy was in town, treated myself to a Dungeness crab with potato patties and garlic bread.
Yummm!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:59 pm

AIR FRY CHICKEN WINGS
Crispy outside, like Chinese takout style

8-12 wings, put in ziplock bag.
3 tbs soy sauce
3 tbs Chinese wine
1/3 tsp white pepper
goodly Pinch of 5 spice
work in good, put in fridge a couple hours to overnight

Pat dry with paper towels, lightly roll in corn starch

Spray oil on air fryer pan, space the wings & give another spray on top.
Air fry @390 for 10 min, turn over do another 10. Crank up to 450 for 4-5 mins.
Sprinkle on some seasoned salt before serving. Crunchy outside, nice floral taste to the meat inside.
This was a 'test' to serve when WASPy friends are over. Ya know where one red pepper flake per cubic metre is 'way too spicy hot' for them. Much better than the $20 dish from the local takeout.
Pour choice of sauce over when done - if you wish.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2413 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 157  158  159  160  161