Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:32 pm

novachick novachick:
Brenda Brenda:
novachick novachick:
Our men and women are soldiers not peace keepers.

That depends on the mission. Dutch men and women are mostly peacekeepers lately, thank God. Correct me if I'm wrong but since we are in Afghanistan on the same mission, Canadians must be peacekeepers as well.

Peace keeping mission. We have Canadian soldiers on a peace keeping mission.

Yes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Brenda Brenda:
novachick novachick:
Ali786 Ali786:
novachick novachick:
Our men and women are soldiers not peace keepers. I am always proud of my men and women, I feel their loss deeply, I feel the loss for the family's of those soldiers deeply. They pull the trigger because they must, don't make it a personal choice for them, they have a job they are trained to do and they do it.

lol so in other words, a trained hit man should be allowed to kill as long as hes not killing for personal reasons? or as long as hes getting orders from another authority? I mean, a hit man is doing his job as well.

If you see our military as hit men, you and I have nothing to discuss.

I think you are missing the point...

No I'm not his point was unethical at best.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:37 pm

Brenda Brenda:
novachick novachick:

That depends on the mission. Dutch men and women are mostly peacekeepers lately, thank God. Correct me if I'm wrong but since we are in Afghanistan on the same mission, Canadians must be peacekeepers as well.

In Afghanistan it isn't so much peacekeeping as peacemaking mostly for the fact that peace must first be made in order to be kept.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Ali786 Ali786:
Actually I am not calling you a hit man, I am only providing a example for nova so she can understand my point. Just because you are trained to kill doesn't mean you should be killing just because you have orders. I am sure, if a superior asked you to shoot your father or a close family members, wouldn't you question him? (its just an example)

I've never received morally ambiguous orders so this has never been an issue to me. And were I ordered to shoot someone, anyone, in cold blood I'd relieve the officer who gave the order and have him or her taken under arrest to face charges.

Ali786 Ali786:
P.S : It wasn't directed at you.

I'm one of those people you're talking about so it may as well have been directed to me. Still, I'll accept that you meant no personal offence.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:41 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:
novachick novachick:

In Afghanistan it isn't so much peacekeeping as peacemaking mostly for the fact that peace must first be made in order to be kept.

Of course, but it is not like they are killing people everyday, and that is the only thing they do. I mean, from what I hear on the news here, they are building schools, providing a bit of safety in the towns... It can be I am screwing up things between Afghanistan and Iraq though... :oops:

But I know for sure our Dutch Nato-soldiers in the Balcan in Europe are there for peace-keeping.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:45 pm

Ali786 Ali786:
novachick novachick:
Brenda Brenda:
novachick novachick:
Ali786 Ali786:
novachick novachick:
Our men and women are soldiers not peace keepers. I am always proud of my men and women, I feel their loss deeply, I feel the loss for the family's of those soldiers deeply. They pull the trigger because they must, don't make it a personal choice for them, they have a job they are trained to do and they do it.

lol so in other words, a trained hit man should be allowed to kill as long as hes not killing for personal reasons? or as long as hes getting orders from another authority? I mean, a hit man is doing his job as well.

I don't understand you, is it so hard to reason and debate without involving personal feelings?

When you compare our military to hit men it is. So you aren't showing any "personal feelings" in this debate [huh]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 pm

Ali786 Ali786:
Nova,

I have a question for you:

How do you feel about the soldiers that raped that 14 year old iraqi girl and then killed her family afterwards. Do you see something wrong with that? or do you think thats part of war?

About the same as killing unarmed South Koreans or killing aid workers or rounding up women and kids into a soccer stadium and killing them.......much the same really.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Ali786 Ali786:
novachick novachick:
Ali786 Ali786:
novachick novachick:
Brenda Brenda:
novachick novachick:
Ali786 Ali786:
novachick novachick:

I don't understand you, is it so hard to reason and debate without involving personal feelings?

When you compare our military to hit men it is. So you aren't showing any "personal feelings" in this debate [huh]

Not really, I am basing my opinion on facts, if you believe my facts are false then please correct me. I don't compare a military to a hit man but when you said that "they are trained to kill" so I said, "so are, hit men", that doesn't mean they should be killing just because a superior ordered them too.

They are trained to follow orders, as Bart has mentioned here if those orders were "unlawful" they would not be carried out. Their training includes many things part of that is to shoot to kill, much as a police officer, a SWAT member. Hit men are hired killers acting outside the law for the sole intent of murdering someone. I again say it is an unethical point of debate.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Ali786 Ali786:
Nova,

I have a question for you:

How do you feel about the soldiers that raped that 14 year old iraqi girl and then killed her family afterwards. Do you see something wrong with that? or do you think thats part of war?

No of course it doesn't follow the rules of engagement. They should be tried and held accountable.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 40  Next