CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

Either way Andy, our conversations usually boil down to this;

Bootlegga: Watashi wa Bootlegga desu.

Andy: ?

Bootlegga: I said my name is Bootlegga in Japanese.

Andy: Oh, I don't understand Japanese.

Bootlegga: I know, just like you understand get that people should have to work for things either! :lol:

'Nuff said...

ROTFL

I laughed so hard I woke the dog! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

I'm not telling anyone to go fuck themselves - I'm telling them work at that job until they can finish training for something better. And if that doesn't happen, then work two unskilled jobs at a time like I used to.

Life isn't elementary school where you gets a gold star for attendance - you get out of it exactly what you put in. It may sound corny, but if you put in nothing, then expect nothing, while if you work hard, doors will open for you and you'll get somewhere in life.

Love it! [B-o]

There was a time when I was working full time 8am-4pm and then 3-4 nights a week I was working 5pm-9pm or 5pm-Midnight.

People need to get that drive and ambition to aspire to be more. We don't want kids dropping out of grade 11 and working at 7 Eleven for the rest of their life because it pays 60k/year with benefits because it's all subsidized.

Some people don't have that drive and we shouldn't reward them with handouts to compensate for their laziness.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

I'm all for giving a helping hand, but I'm not about to give them everything for doing nothing. People have to put in some effort to get ahead in life, not just expect it handed to them for showing up. Life isn't elementary school where you gets a gold star for attendance - you get out of it exactly what you put in. It may sound corny, but if you put in nothing, then expect nothing, while if you work hard, doors will open for you and you'll get somewhere in life.

OK. So a helping hand for you, because you feel too unequal to people richer than you, but a "just work harder or longer" to anybody that makes less than you. How can you decry inequality in one breath and then tell people who work at lower paying jobs they're just not working hard or long enough? The people who make more than you do will tell you the exact same thing. If you see it that way, at least don't try to have it both ways and moan about income inequality. It seems hypocritical. At least OTI doesn't do that.

Wow.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:56 am

andyt andyt:
bootlegga bootlegga:

I'm all for giving a helping hand, but I'm not about to give them everything for doing nothing. People have to put in some effort to get ahead in life, not just expect it handed to them for showing up. Life isn't elementary school where you gets a gold star for attendance - you get out of it exactly what you put in. It may sound corny, but if you put in nothing, then expect nothing, while if you work hard, doors will open for you and you'll get somewhere in life.

OK. So a helping hand for you, because you feel too unequal to people richer than you, but a "just work harder or longer" to anybody that makes less than you. How can you decry inequality in one breath and then tell people who work at lower paying jobs they're just not working hard or long enough? The people who make more than you do will tell you the exact same thing. If you see it that way, at least don't try to have it both ways and moan about income inequality. It seems hypocritical. At least OTI doesn't do that.

Wow.

And andy misses the point completely,,,,,again. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 am

andyt andyt:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Wow.

Where did he say he expected a helping hand for himself or people of his ilk? [huh]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:06 am

andyt andyt:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Wow.

As I said, "Anata wa watashi o rikai shite imasen"...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:25 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
bootlegga bootlegga:

I'm not telling anyone to go fuck themselves - I'm telling them work at that job until they can finish training for something better. And if that doesn't happen, then work two unskilled jobs at a time like I used to.

Life isn't elementary school where you gets a gold star for attendance - you get out of it exactly what you put in. It may sound corny, but if you put in nothing, then expect nothing, while if you work hard, doors will open for you and you'll get somewhere in life.

Love it! [B-o]

There was a time when I was working full time 8am-4pm and then 3-4 nights a week I was working 5pm-9pm or 5pm-Midnight.

People need to get that drive and ambition to aspire to be more. We don't want kids dropping out of grade 11 and working at 7 Eleven for the rest of their life because it pays 60k/year with benefits because it's all subsidized.

Some people don't have that drive and we shouldn't reward them with handouts to compensate for their laziness.

I couldn't agree more but you'll forgive me if I'm willing to say that the rich should at least provide the low wage people who do work at the sev medical and insurance options. I don't care if your a "lazy" person who only works 30 hours a week at a minimum wage jobs to keep a shitty bachelor pad if you break your leg or need glasses as another human being living in a rich country I think we should look after you when it comes to the very basics of life.

Notice I said the very basics. That's why welfare is such a hard act to balance you never want it to be an appealing option but you don't want people starving either.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:29 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Wow.

Where did he say he expected a helping hand for himself or people of his ilk? [huh]

He complained about the income inequality between the middle class and the rich. When I brought up the income inequality between the middle class and poor, he said the poor want a helping hand, but don't deserve one. How is it any different him wanting this same helping hand, ie less income inequality between himself and the rich? He obviously wants a helping hand to do something about it.

25% of BC workers make less than $12. That's not all old people and kids. Those 25% can't all be trained for higher paying jobs that don't exist, and if they did who would do the low paying jobs? A discussion about income inequality has to go from top to bottom, not just stop at the middle.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:30 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

As I said, "Anata wa watashi o rikai shite imasen"...

Exactly. You don't want me to interrupt your complaining about the rich to point out there are people a lot poorer than you who also deserve a better deal.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 am

andyt andyt:

He complained about the income inequality between the middle class and the rich. When I brought up the income inequality between the middle class and poor, he said the poor want a helping hand, but don't deserve one. How is it any different him wanting this same helping hand, ie less income inequality between himself and the rich? He obviously wants a helping hand to do something about it.

He did nothing of the sort.

He said he has no problem helping the poor as long as they are willing to work. If you want to sit on your ass and collect a government cheque, that's not gonna fly.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:

He said he has no problem helping the poor as long as they are willing to work. If you want to sit on your ass and collect a government cheque, that's not gonna fly.

And that's not the discussion. He threw that in as a knee jerk reaction, and I guess you swallowed it.

The discussion is minimum wages. Ie people working for poor pay. How is paying them a better wage a helping hand (ie welfare) but paying middle class workers a better wage relative to the rich just something that's deserved? If he doesn't like his income relative to people who make more, I could just as easily say to him he should get better training or work two jobs, just as he's saying to those who make less than him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 am

andyt andyt:
And that's not the discussion. He threw that in as a knee jerk reaction, and I guess you swallowed it.

The discussion is minimum wages. Ie people working for poor pay. How is paying them a better wage a helping hand (ie welfare) but paying middle class workers a better wage relative to the rich just something that's deserved? If he doesn't like his income relative to people who make more, I could just as easily say to him he should get better training or work two jobs, just as he's saying to those who make less than him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 pm

andyt andyt:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:

The discussion is minimum wages.

Actually, the discussion was about whether or not the rich pay enough, but as usual, you derailed it with your, "we should pay people a living wage" complaints.

andyt andyt:
How is paying them a better wage a helping hand (ie welfare) but paying middle class workers a better wage relative to the rich just something that's deserved? If he doesn't like his income relative to people who make more, I could just as easily say to him he should get better training or work two jobs, just as he's saying to those who make less than him.

Which is exactly what I did. I stopped working two minimum wage jobs, got an education and now make three-four times what I did 20 years ago.

FYI, I'm not unhappy with my current earning. Sure I would like 6 figures, and if I was willing to move elsewhere and work 80 hours a week, I could get it. I simply choose family over money. In time, as I gain experience, my earnings will increase. On the side, I write novels and short stories and, who knows, maybe someday that will pay the bills. If not, it's better that than working at a convenience store or gas station - which I did up until I finished my Master's degree in 2010.

But everything I have today is because I worked for it - not because the government gave me a handout. Which is obviously something you'll never understand...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:02 pm

CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:
I couldn't agree more but you'll forgive me if I'm willing to say that the rich should at least provide the low wage people who do work at the sev medical and insurance options. I don't care if your a "lazy" person who only works 30 hours a week at a minimum wage jobs to keep a shitty bachelor pad if you break your leg or need glasses as another human being living in a rich country I think we should look after you when it comes to the very basics of life.

Notice I said the very basics. That's why welfare is such a hard act to balance you never want it to be an appealing option but you don't want people starving either.

R=UP

I'd support that - even if it would cause prices to increase on some things.

Here in Alberta, to get people to work unskilled jobs they don't offer benefits, but they usually offer wages well above the legislated minimum.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:03 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

But everything I have today is because I worked for it - not because the government gave me a handout. Which is obviously something you'll never understand...

Hand up or hand out? We all know andys choice. :lol: