bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:26 am

andyt andyt:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

By excluding 'Glocks' from the inventory of things people can own or use, there would have to be a ban on a whole class of handgun, not just 'Glocks'. He excluded them all.

I believe this is what he wants to exclude:
$1:
A semi-automatic pistol is a type of handgun which uses a single chamber and barrel, with a mechanism powered by the previous shot to load a fresh cartridge into the chamber. One round is fired each time the trigger of a semi-automatic pistol is pulled.

AKA: 'Double Action'

$1:
Single-action

A single-action (SA) trigger performs the single action of releasing the hammer or striker to discharge the firearm each time the trigger is pulled.[1] Almost all rifles and shotguns use this type of trigger.[1] Single-action revolvers such as the Colt Dragoon Revolver require the hammer to be cocked by hand every time the weapon is fired. Single-action semi-automatic pistols, such as the M1911, Springfield Armory XD and the Browning Hi-Power, require that the hammer or striker be cocked before the first round can be fired, although most designs cock the hammer or striker as part of the loading process (e.g., the act of inserting the magazine and operating the slide mechanism to chamber the first round also cocks the hammer or striker into the ready-to-fire position).[2] Once the first round is fired, the automatic movement (recoil) of the slide cocks the hammer or striker for each subsequent shot. The pistol, once cocked, can be fired by pulling the trigger once for each shot until the magazine is empty.
Double-action

A double-action, also known as double-action only (DAO) to prevent confusion with DA/SA designs, is similar to a DA revolver trigger mechanism. The trigger both cocks and releases the hammer or striker. However there is no single-action function. A good example of this action is the SIG Sauer DAK trigger. For semi-automatic pistols with a traditional hammer (that employ only the double-action function of the trigger), the hammer will return to its decocked position after each shot. Subsequent shots require the double-action trigger firing sequence. For striker-fired pistols such as the Taurus 24/7, the striker will remain in the rest position through the entire reloading cycle. This term applies mostly to semi-automatic handguns; however, the term can also apply to some revolvers such as the Smith & Wesson Centennial, the Type 26 Revolver, and the Enfield No. 2 Mk I revolvers, in which there is no external hammer spur. Glock and Kahr semi-automatic pistols are not DA (or DAO) pistols because the striker is "cocked" to an intermediate position by the operation of the slide and they cannot be re-activated by pulling the trigger a second time.
Double-action/single-action

A double-action/single-action (DA/SA) firearm combines the features of both mechanisms. Often called traditional double-action, these terms apply almost exclusively to semi-automatic handguns. The function of this trigger mechanism is identical to a DA revolver. However, the firing mechanism automatically cocks the hammer or striker after the gun is fired. This mechanism will cock and release the hammer when the hammer is in the down position, but, on each subsequent shot, the trigger will function as a single-action. The Mateba Autorevolver is a semi-automatic revolver that function on a DA/SA system. The Beretta 92 is a good example of a DA/SA semi-automatic pistol. On many DA/SA pistols (including the Beretta), there is the option to cock the hammer before the first shot is fired. This removes the heavy pull of the double-action. Also, there is often a de-cocker to return the pistol to double-action.

A second distinct type is that used by the majority of double-action revolvers, where the weapon can be fired in either double-action mode by pulling the trigger, or single-action mode by cocking the hammer manually before firing. This is distinct from double-action only, since the weapon does not have to be fired in double-action mode, for example, the Colt Python.

Then he has to exclude the Colt 1911 .45, H&k 9mm, Sig Sauer .556 . . .and about 20,000 other kinds of handguns that do exactly the same thing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:29 am

I understand. What's wrong with that? Why is that so necessary for target shooters to have? Me I would strictly limit both single and double action handguns to people who can show a great need for them, and target shooting would not be sufficient need.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:30 am

andyt andyt:
I understand. What's wrong with that? Why is that so necessary for target shooters to have? Me I would strictly limit both single and double action handguns to people who can show a great need for them, and target shooting would not be sufficient need.

andyt andyt:
Why must the ability of target shooters to use this particular class of handguns be preserved?

The whole point of target shooting is to develop your self control. Target shooting with a double action gun is different and requires different skills than with a rifle or a revolver . . .or a bow . . or a blackpowder rifle . . .

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:34 am

andyt andyt:
Me I would strictly limit both single and double action handguns to people who can show a great need for them, and target shooting would not be sufficient need.

Why? Are there target shooters out there posing a risk to the public?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:37 am

Not on the whole, unless they go rogue. And we all know there are nuts among the target shooters as well. Known a few myself. More dangerous are their guns and how they're stored. Stolen guns, from homes and stores are a significant factor in criminal guns, tho I bet most come from the US. But still, reduce the presence of handguns in society, you decrease the danger they will be used for ill. As the research shows, the more guns in society, the more gun murders. We'll never have 0 guns or gun murders, but we can try to reduce those numbers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:38 am

andyt andyt:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

By excluding 'Glocks' from the inventory of things people can own or use, there would have to be a ban on a whole class of handgun, not just 'Glocks'. He excluded them all.

I believe this is what he wants to exclude:
$1:
A semi-automatic pistol is a type of handgun which uses a single chamber and barrel, with a mechanism powered by the previous shot to load a fresh cartridge into the chamber. One round is fired each time the trigger of a semi-automatic pistol is pulled.

Yeah, and?? One round is fired each time the trigger of a double action revolver is squeezed too, what's your point? Each time the trigger is squeezed the cylinder rotates to load the next round, ready to fire.
The irony is, IIRC the magazine load limit in Canada for semi-auto weapons is four rounds. A revolver generally holds six rounds although there are revolvers with more than 6 chambers in the cylinder.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:44 am

Ask, Jabber. Me I want to severely restrict all handguns, single or double action unless an urgent need for them is demonstrated. Target shooting is not an urgent need.

I believe tho, the reason the police have mostly switched to semi-auto is because of the more rapid rate of fire.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 am

andyt andyt:
Not on the whole, unless they go rogue. And we all know there are nuts among the target shooters as well. Known a few myself. More dangerous are their guns and how they're stored. Stolen guns, from homes and stores are a significant factor in criminal guns, tho I bet most come from the US. But still, reduce the presence of handguns in society, you decrease the danger they will be used for ill. As the research shows, the more guns in society, the more gun murders. We'll never have 0 guns or gun murders, but we can try to reduce those numbers.

As I said earlier, I'd be willing to put my personal safety on the line to affect a citizen's arrest on this coward, had I just witnessed the probable murder of an RCMP officer in order to make my community and family safer.

On that same note, I'd be willing to give up my personal property if it made the community safer - but it better be a damn good reason for me to do that! And as we've discussed ad nauseum, your reasons above are not borne by statistics to show that any restriction of my current freedoms would make anyone safer.

So, your reason to restrict people's rights, just as I suspect Jabberwalkers is, is arbitrary. And I reject them.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 am

The Officers have a difficult job trying to capture this nut. Lots of people around, bush areas to hide, no idea of what weapons he has, what he may have stashed away.
Lots of brave Officers putting their lives on the line.

And 3 families grieving.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:56 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I know what my reaction would have been to witnessing the probable murder of an RCMP officer, and I'm sure there are those who would approve and those who would not approve of those actions. But I don't really care, as my self image doesn't require the approval of random internet people.

My two words would have been 'Citizen's arrest'. Right after I got my best hunting rifle out of the safe and my emergency flashlight out of the closet.

If you or someone else killed kim it would have been legally justified. The recent G4 UofA massacre in Edmonton seems similar but Travis Baumgartner was criminal who wasn't that bright while Justin Bourque seems to be an extremist with a twisted political agenda.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:11 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
2Cdo 2Cdo:
Took not even one page for the usual anti-gun nuts to show. BTW Jabber you can buy any one of those guns in Canada, but don't let that get in the way of your juvenile anti-Americanism.

This idiot will end up taking his own life, these nuts rarely want to face a trial and get pointed out that they are loons.

I doubt that there is one (1) RCMP officer in the country that would support your view on this subject at the current moment.

As far as being an "anti gun nut", here is my personal belief: Professionals (military, police and properly certified security personnel) need to be armed and need sophisticated arms. People living in the North, isolated areas need firearms for protection from bears, etc. They do not need Uzis, A-47s or Glocks to do that. Farmers, hunters should be allowed to have their long guns. As has been pointed out, over and over, they are most certainly not the problem. Hunters, however, don't need AK-47s to hunt deer. If you have to squeeze off 20 rounds to bring down a deer, your are no efffing good at it and you are a danger to all of us (and you are likely a butcher on top of it) Glocks have no value to hunters or farmers.

As for your shot at my "juvenile anti- Americanism" , this kind of automatic firearm ownership is anti-Canadian. It has never been a part of our culture or history ... ever except during wartime and strictly for military use. It is not acceptable in this country. There is a consensus that we don't want it here. There is a freaky fringe that wants us all armed. They are outsiders ... marginal and usually foreign. If you think that the rest of us are wrong about this, I would suggest to you that you may be living in the wrong country.

When exposed for having fuck-all knowledge on the subject best double down and go for broke. You seriously don't have a clue what is and isn't legal in Canada. Time for you to maybe do some research before spouting off and exposing your ignorance.

The comment about anti-Americanism is based upon many of your posts, but was especially valid here where you immediately went to the default position of "blame America".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:21 am

50 bucks , that's where this creep got his weapons.

I surely hope that you don't live in my city. You're dangerous, buddy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:29 am

$1:
I believe tho, the reason the police have mostly switched to semi-auto is because of the more rapid rate of fire.

You also need less skill and control of a semi-auto to hit your target then you do with a double action revolver. If you are not extremely careful the second part of a double action causes you to go off target thus taking a bit more time to re-sight on your target and fire.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:58 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Took not even one page for the usual anti-gun nuts to show. BTW Jabber you can buy any one of those guns in Canada, but don't let that get in the way of your juvenile anti-Americanism.

This idiot will end up taking his own life, these nuts rarely want to face a trial and get pointed out that they are loons.

The only nut in question is the pro-gun cop killer stocking Moncton NB. It has nothing to do with "anti-Americanism" except for the fact the NRA et al are perfectly happy with dead elementary kids and dead cops as long as you don't dare take their Assault Rifles.

We don't need those guns in Canada or NRA type of thinking.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:05 am

jj2424 jj2424:
Damn Americans and their crazy assed gun culture.

8O

Good thing our gun laws protect us from this sort of thing.

Get bent.

-J.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 ... 11  Next