Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Sorry. Just assuming that pouring thousands of gallons of piss and shit into something every day isn't too healthy for anything that lives in or near it.

I would agree if it sat there. It does not. It is quickly diluted and flushed through tidal action.

Sea life around the outfalls is quite plentiful actually.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:29 pm

$1:
Well let's not ignore what uncontrolled fertilization of land does firstly. Yes, pesticides and herbicides are not iron oxide, but introducing them into agriculture has had its issues

Not really a good analogy using the chemicals meant to kill unwanted life. The iron oxide is more comparable to adding anhydrous ammonia to soil. Anything and everything growing benefits from the added nitrogen. If they added something to the water that killed organisms that preyed on or competed with salmon then it might be correct to bring up pesticides and herbicides

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:33 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:
Well let's not ignore what uncontrolled fertilization of land does firstly. Yes, pesticides and herbicides are not iron oxide, but introducing them into agriculture has had its issues

Not really a good analogy using the chemicals meant to kill unwanted life. The iron oxide is more comparable to adding anhydrous ammonia to soil. Anything and everything growing benefits from the added nitrogen. If they added something to the water that killed organisms that preyed on or competed with salmon then it might be correct to bring up pesticides and herbicides

Fair enough.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Sorry. Just assuming that pouring thousands of gallons of piss and shit into something every day isn't too healthy for anything that lives in or near it.

next time you're enjoying your serving of mussels and clams, think about that, and how those filter feeders enjoy that nutrient rich environment. As for Victoria...all that untreated sewage ends up on Bellingham's beaches....why worry :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:30 pm

I avoid seafood in general now. Even a well-cooked wild salmon fillet started cleaning me out like a fire hose, so starting with poopy-fed shell-creatures is not going to happen. No more shrimp either, once I noticed that the labels on the cans and bags all started to say "Produit du Chine".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Thanos Thanos:

I would agree if it sat there. It does not. It is quickly diluted and flushed through tidal action.

If pot were legalized then spiking the oceans to save them might not be necessary. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Thanos Thanos:

If pot were legalized then spiking the oceans to save them might not be necessary. 8)

That's some pretty black and white thinking there!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Not a scientific process in any way shape or form.
Because this wasn't an experiment.

$1:
That would be the point here. One can certainly try this, but under scientifically controlled conditions with independent scrutiny and without situating the estimate.
Like in past tests?

$1:
As for the two scientists - that would be Mr. Fish and Caleb.
I hear they also have black belts and are para too.

$1:
They certainly seemed to have reservations and frankly, I'm more likely to take their opinions over a gas station attendant who read about in in Wired. :wink:
It's not about my past experince. What I'm saying is that iron seeding isn't new.

$1:
As for your shooting... well of course you're a better shot...and a black belt...and a millionaire with a trophy wife. :lol:
It's not hard to be a better shot that those NYC cops, that was terrible and if you knew anything about firearms you would know that yourself.
$1:
Actually, I'm not really looking for an answer here because I have no expectations you would answer truthfully. I'm just ribbing our latest Eureka that's all. :wink:
So you are trolling. Well I will grant you a point for this single instance of honesty.

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
next time you're enjoying your serving of mussels and clams, think about that, and how those filter feeders enjoy that nutrient rich environment. As for Victoria...all that untreated sewage ends up on Bellingham's beaches....why worry :twisted:

You drink that water too, and eat food that has been watered with that water, you know given the closed system of our planet.

Last edited by Xort on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Don't forget to check the oil, Mr. :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Troll harder.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Xort Xort:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Troll harder.

I appreciate your ability to type so fast with a Kleenex in your hand! :lol:

Fill 'er up, son!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Xort Xort:
Not better educated, just not trying to get funding for my research by linking it to CO2 (for scientists), or trying to shape and control the world's economy via carbon taxes and credits (for the UN bureaucrats)

Gunnair Gunnair:
Ohhhhh....a theorist. Yeah, I guess that makes sense now.

Gunnair Gunnair:
Next I'll be accepting ecological studies of the Gulf of Mexico from BP because of course, they have no stake in anything right?

I guess when you suggest people might have other motives, that's fine, when I suggest it I'm a conspiracy theorist.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Xort Xort:
Xort Xort:
Not better educated, just not trying to get funding for my research by linking it to CO2 (for scientists), or trying to shape and control the world's economy via carbon taxes and credits (for the UN bureaucrats)

Gunnair Gunnair:
Ohhhhh....a theorist. Yeah, I guess that makes sense now.

Gunnair Gunnair:
Next I'll be accepting ecological studies of the Gulf of Mexico from BP because of course, they have no stake in anything right?

I guess when you suggest people might have other motives, that's fine, when I suggest it I'm a conspiracy theorist.

Yeah...there's a comparison between BP who was responsible for a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and the suggested control of the world economy by scientists and UN beuracrates. :lol:

Windshield too please. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:54 pm

This was done primarily because they thought they could sell this for carbon credits, ie a get rich quick scheme they were sold.

As for increasing salmon yields - what, the reason salmon have declined because of an anemic ocean? The rivers are pushing iron out to sea as they always have. What's changed is that salmon breeding grounds have been destroyed and salmon have been over fished. This project won't do anything to bring them back.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:26 am

andyt andyt:
This was done primarily because they thought they could sell this for carbon credits, ie a get rich quick scheme they were sold.

As for increasing salmon yields - what, the reason salmon have declined because of an anemic ocean? The rivers are pushing iron out to sea as they always have. What's changed is that salmon breeding grounds have been destroyed and salmon have been over fished. This project won't do anything to bring them back.

Yeah...oops, everyone seems to have forgotten about that, eh?

Doesn't matter how much food you put in the ocean, if the salmon don't have enough streams and rivers to spawn in, then you don't get an increase in yield.

Go up and down the coast, check out logging operations, and scope out what it does to spawning streams.

Oh, and maybe over fishing might be a problem.