bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:59 pm

kenmore kenmore:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Sure, why not? We have record high unemployment but take care of the important things like arts funding. After all winning is what matters.

Arts and culture are jobs for many people in Quebec. And cutting funding for them was what caused harper to be in the crapper in Quebec.. Its important to Quebecers.

Cirque de soleil aint that great, i'd rather go listen to a KISS cover band than watch some dude in tights jump around ropes.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:01 pm

Cirque de soleil is a viable business. it does not need federal funding, imo.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:14 am

And Cirque doesn't get funding..

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:17 am

I think one has to define arts and culture.. Musicians, actors, theatre workers.
There is a spin off of jobs connected to these groups that are very important to the economy. Include writers and tourist venues.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:01 am

I think that we shouldn't support arts and culture in Quebec. If they want it so bad, they can pay for it themselves.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:47 am

if 2 bit acts like brittany spears can make money, then i think arts and culture should be able to make money from their educated and culturally enlightened supporters. if their own supporters are too damn cheap to cough up the cash, then that is proof to me that no one values the art and culture.

i am in favor of a venture capital style of funding to help develop new arts and culture, but anything that has been on government welfare for more than a decade deserves to get their fundng pulled.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:55 am

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
I think that we shouldn't support arts and culture in Quebec. If they want it so bad, they can pay for it themselves.

Agreed.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:38 am

Proculation Proculation:
Anyway that is only vote buying. But the artists will never vote Liberal. They are all separatists. They will go with the Bloc...

That's true.

On a side note, in Quebec, it's also quite easy to have pro-Bloc media coverage. :lol:

Funny how, presently, there is a scandal about electoral expenses at the PQ, yet it is swept under the rug by TVA and Journal de Montreal/Quebec. They do not seem to make it much of an issue. But had it been the ADQ or PLQ, surely the local journalists would have handled it a bit different since their love for Pauline Marois is so obvious. :)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:59 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:

Agreed.

Arts and culture are supported in all provinces so why should it be different for Quebec?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:01 pm

ASLplease ASLplease:
if 2 bit acts like brittany spears can make money, then i think arts and culture should be able to make money from their educated and culturally enlightened supporters. if their own supporters are too damn cheap to cough up the cash, then that is proof to me that no one values the art and culture.

i am in favor of a venture capital style of funding to help develop new arts and culture, but anything that has been on government welfare for more than a decade deserves to get their fundng pulled.

Wow what a profound statement...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Put that in the perspective of the Quebec "artist" and the $100,000 he got for his inflable banana. Is this the example of Canadian or even Quebec culture?

Money should never have been spent on crap like that and the people who apporved that should have been fired.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Proculation Proculation:
Anyway that is only vote buying. But the artists will never vote Liberal. They are all separatists. They will go with the Bloc...

Exactly that's why there's no point in trying to appease the art crowd in Quebec anyways, including the majority of Quebec media. They share the same ideology.

Doesn't matter what we dish out, the outcome will always be status quo.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:28 pm

kenmore kenmore:
Ruez quote "I understand, that's why I wrote that winning is what matters. There's going to be a time very soon when the results of polling in Quebec will mean nothing to how a party does in an election. Then you will see Quebecers on the outside looking in." Explain this please, I might be losing it, but I don't follow

He means that Quebec votes will be less useful in determining the next leadership of Canada by that I hope extends towards Ontario as well.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:48 am

ridenrain ridenrain:
Put that in the perspective of the Quebec "artist" and the $100,000 he got for his inflable banana. Is this the example of Canadian or even Quebec culture?

Money should never have been spent on crap like that and the people who apporved that should have been fired.

You call it crap he calls it art.. I am in Kingston Ontario right now and on the beautiful waterfront there are two huge sewer pipes which apparently was a gift on the cities 300 anniversary.. they are angled and painted green and there is what amounts to cement sewage painted different colours spewing out onto the grass.. The city thinks is awesome. I think it was an insult and is an eye sore.. all in the eye of the beholder as they say..

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:00 am

kenmore kenmore:
You call it crap he calls it art.. I am in Kingston Ontario right now and on the beautiful waterfront there are two huge sewer pipes which apparently was a gift on the cities 300 anniversary.. they are angled and painted green and there is what amounts to cement sewage painted different colours spewing out onto the grass.. The city thinks is awesome. I think it was an insult and is an eye sore.. all in the eye of the beholder as they say..

The current exhibit I walked by, that is on display. Is basically all of the "artist's" tools laid out on the floor. There's no art just his/her tools.

I geuss if you cant draw,paint,sculpt anything... Laying out ones tools is the next best thing. Compliments of tax-payers at some point I suspect.

I have to take a pic of this and post it.

This is art, I bought one of his pieces not to long ago. He runs his own gallery no need for him to suck off the government teat, people buy his art, because it's good.