canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:01 pm

immigrants dont have to learn either official language.. they can live here for 50 yrs and never lean.. ..thanks to multiculturalism... which sucks..

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:16 pm

fire_i fire_i:
Hem, firstly, we're not French, we speak French - big difference. Call us Qu�b�cois or French-Canadians, whatever, but we're not French.

I think that is part of the problem.
I am not English, I am Canadian but I don't make a big deal about it when someone describes me as English. Who gives a rat's ass? I have friends from all the caucasion nationalities and I haven't heard any of them get upset about it. We speak english we get called english.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Congio Congio:
Canadians are mostly unilingual: English or French. If they are from immigrant families they have a third language.

- The Canadians who are unilingual have lost what they have learnt of other languages because of lack of proper motivation to keep them.

Congio Congio:
If someone doesn't like Canada s bilingualism he is free to go to America, or Europe.

- If poor people were so free to immigrate where they want in America or Europe, these states would not be able to impose official languages.

Humiliating someone will not make him/her free.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:23 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
commanderkai commanderkai:
MacDonaill MacDonaill:

Lastly, there is no ban on English signs in Quebec. There is a ban on unilingual signs in any language other than French. English appears in signs all over Quebec, as long as French is there first and foremost.

I'm not sure what Quebec you're in, but there are ALOT on unilingual signs...all in French of course
He's not disputing that. He's saying there is a ban on unilingual signs of a language other than French.

Thank you.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:54 pm

kenmore kenmore:
MacDonaill....... I challenge you on one point sir.........French is indeed an official language in Ontario.. it is also an official language in all other provinces and territories.. French and English are Canadas two official language and it is enshrined in the constitutiion.. bilingualism and official language are totally two different things... and as for the government of ontario.. residents have the right to be served in either language..

I understand what your trying to say, but the fact is that at the provincial level, Ontario's not officially bilingual. There is (fortunately) the Bilingual Services Act which guarantees French language services to Franco-Ontarians. But Ontario has English as its de facto official language.

Canada is federally bilingual, this is true. But for what there is of provincial jurisdiction, the only officially bilingual province is New Brunswick.

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:50 am

Benoit Benoit:
- The Canadians who are unilingual have lost what they have learnt of other languages because of lack of proper motivation to keep them.

80% of Canadians are uniliginual (know one or the official languages) only 20% speaks both French and English.

Benoit Benoit:
- If poor people were so free to immigrate where they want in America or Europe, these states would not be able to impose official languages.

I meant Anglopohnes to the USA, or UK Francophones to France, Belgium or Switzerland. But by Irony two of these states are bilingual too.
But you got a point. Poor people can't travel much ;/

MacDonaill MacDonaill:
Canada is federally bilingual, this is true. But for what there is of provincial jurisdiction, the only officially bilingual province is New Brunswick.

Yes! And this is the problem!

Only New Brunswick is officially bilingual. The next province to become bilingual is... Quebec. After that Ontario, the Maritimimes.
But going back to Quebec. Only in Quebec, and New Brunswick can a Francophone feel like home, because he can use he language everywhere. As the discussion said, not even in Ontario French is fully 'official'.
But Anglophones can feel home everywhere in Canada. I am not sure how is it with the usage of English in Quebec provincial issues, but I hope MacDonaill or someone else will explain.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:22 am

I was home to Quebec for the celebration of Quebec City's 400th anniversary... I was and am very proud of my french roots... I like Quebec... its not perfect but I agree with the language law..
and where do you get off saying Qubecers are not true french? where in Hell do you think they came from.. my great -great grandparents came from France... The french grammar is the same.. basically.. what you are referring to is a difference in dialect... and styles of speaking decided by region..in many parts of the country both french and english are spoken differently.. say in northern ontario or manitoba or Acadie..some english spoken in the ottawa valley is native to that area..those who try to defend their bias against the french language tend to use the you are not from france card to justify their argument.. fact is it wont wash.. we are not living in france as you are not living in England. I have cousins who visited from Britain last summer and they suggested the people here didnt speak the "Kings English".. and imagine my horror when my cousin asked me to knock them up in the morning.. great laugh over this one.. of course it meant knock and wake them up.. totally different meaning here.. so to argue over how someone speaks a language if futile.. get over it..

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:12 am

Did I read you right Kenmore when you say you support bill 101 and the reprecussions it has to offenders, fines, seizure of property all based on a language. But then when you sache your ass across the Quebec borders expect to be served in French no matter where you go in Canada ? Is this deluded arrogance or special treatment or both. You can't and shouldn't have it both ways.

Believe me your not that special. This ideology that majority has to suffer to appease the minority is wearing thin real fast.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:30 am

Congio Congio:
Poor people can't travel much

How to motivate the Polish Plumber to learn a foreign language?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Plumber

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:45 am

Benoit Benoit:

I think if the immigrants who came here weren't motivated to learn a common language and leave the old one behind, Canada would not be a nation stretching from coast to coast. People would have formed thier own communities, kept thier own ways and started thier own little countries.

Last edited by Chumley on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:53 am

Chumley Chumley:
Benoit Benoit:

I think if the immigrants who came here weren't motivated to learn a common language and leave the old one behind, Canada would not be a nation stretching from coast to coast. People would have formed thier own communities, kept thier own ways andstarted thier own little countries.

But if polish immigrants could use a stick to force English-speaking Canadians to learn French, I cannot imagine Canada staying put.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:07 am

:?

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:18 am

This has turned into the most bizarre debate.

I don't think French should be forced on the ROC. Correct me if I'm wrong, there are french classes in primary and/or highschool and if a person is interested, they can continue at a higher level.

I think that that's pretty reasonable.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 am

If we see overshooting/overkilling, language-wise, on the part of some immigrants, it is perhaps because they are doing bigger efforts than long-time Canadians to learn the official languages of their new country. It is thus important to recognize those efforts, which doesn't mean asking the same level of effort on the part of everyone.

Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:35 am

I've always said it takes a generation to integrate. It's easier for the children of immigrants. I know a bunch of Italian Grandmothers in their late 70s or 80s that came here in the 50's and never learned the language (french or english). Their kids know it perfectly. Usually both French and English, as well as Italian (or Greek, or Portuguese, you get the idea).

I guy I know on a School Board parent committee said a stupid thing to me, he was aghast that the Principal at his school had to speak to some of the parents in English (it's a french school). He said they should learn French. Well that's all great in theory, but you've got to give them time. Would he prefer to support them while they learn French or would he prefer that they work and earn a living. You can't have it both ways...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 8  9  10  11  12  13  14 ... 18  Next