canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:41 am

Guess that sometimes you don't have much of a choice and pretty much have to give out personal information to the cops. If they arrest you and you need to give them an alibi, not their fault that you were in a motel, cheating on the wife with your secretary, or even worse, a prostitute. 8O

I think I saw that on CSI... :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:19 am

Here. Search this! [sniff sniff]

Attachments:
Shoe%20Phone%20(B%20and%20W)%208x12%20300%20dpi.jpg
Shoe%20Phone%20(B%20and%20W)%208x12%20300%20dpi.jpg [ 162.12 KiB | Viewed 27 times ]
News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:37 am

Xort Xort:
wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:
Then don't get arrested, Sherlock.

If the police want to arrest me, I'm not going to do anything to stop them. I can't control what the police do. If I match the description of someone they think committed a crime within a set area and time they arrest me and then take my phone (in theory) and demand I unlock it for them and let them look over my personal and private details.

If you think you can't be arrested just by not committing crimes you need to get out more, and learn how the world really works.

You watch too much yankee television.

The odds of that are about the same as winning the lotto. I'm not holding my breath for either.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:30 am

Xort Xort:
Then don't get arrested, Sherlock.

If the police want to arrest me, I'm not going to do anything to stop them. I can't control what the police do. If I match the description of someone they think committed a crime within a set area and time they arrest me and then take my phone (in theory) and demand I unlock it for them and let them look over my personal and private details.

If you think you can't be arrested just by not committing crimes you need to get out more, and learn how the world really works.

You do have the right to remain silent. If you are arrested for any reason the only reply that you are legally obligated to give is "I want a lawyer". That must end all questioning by police.
As to being 'required to unlock your phone' that is again completely up to you.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:18 pm

Yogi Yogi:
You do have the right to remain silent. If you are arrested for any reason the only reply that you are legally obligated to give is "I want a lawyer".

You are also legally obligated to identify yourself when being arrested or issued a citation, or while engaged in a provincially regulated activity (like driving a car).

You may wait to be processed before identifying yourself if arrested or being given a citation. That is when they take you into then police station then you must identify yourself when being processed into the facility.

I'm very well aware of my rights and obligations, however not everyone is.

$1:
That must end all questioning by police.
Nope, courts have ruled the police can keep badgering you for as long as they like, it's your obligation not to talk to them.

R. v. Singh (163 C.R.R. (2d) 280)

$1:

The police are allowed to search your phone without a warrant, they are allowed to bypass any protection in place by any means they have. I can only hope they are not allowed to take the phone apart to extract the memory units, damaging or destroying the device in the process. Although a full encryption of the storage would block that.

You don't need to give them your password but the police may lie to you. They always have the option to lie to you about anything and everything.

The odds of that are about the same as winning the lotto. I'm not holding my breath for either.

If you match the description of someone, within some period of time, in some geographic area the police may arrest you if you match a description.

White male, 24-40, about 150-190cm tall, 70-100kg, dark coat and jeans. Gee I wonder how many people look like that?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Xort Xort:
Yogi Yogi:
You do have the right to remain silent. If you are arrested for any reason the only reply that you are legally obligated to give is "I want a lawyer".

You are also legally obligated to identify yourself when being arrested or issued a citation, or while engaged in a provincially regulated activity (like driving a car).

You may wait to be processed before identifying yourself if arrested or being given a citation. That is when they take you into then police station then you must identify yourself when being processed into the facility.

I'm very well aware of my rights and obligations, however not everyone is.

$1:
That must end all questioning by police.
Nope, courts have ruled the police can keep badgering you for as long as they like, it's your obligation not to talk to them.

R. v. Singh (163 C.R.R. (2d) 280)

$1:

The police are allowed to search your phone without a warrant, they are allowed to bypass any protection in place by any means they have. I can only hope they are not allowed to take the phone apart to extract the memory units, damaging or destroying the device in the process. Although a full encryption of the storage would block that.

You don't need to give them your password but the police may lie to you. They always have the option to lie to you about anything and everything.

If you match the description of someone, within some period of time, in some geographic area the police may arrest you if you match a description.

White male, 24-40, about 150-190cm tall, 70-100kg, dark coat and jeans. Gee I wonder how many people look like that?

I suspect that you may somehow be involved in law. Well, In another life I was too! :lol:

You are best to be polite in ALL interactions with law enforcement. State your name (as you noted0, and then 'lier up' and keep your fuckin mouth shut!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:32 pm

I've never been arrested... either I've been very good, or very lucky. 8)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:38 pm

raydan raydan:
I've never been arrested... either I've been very good, or very lucky. 8)

Many different scenarios when one is being arrested. I have experienced a few. In any case once they 'put hands on me' or I otherwise realized that polite cooperation was the best tact...then you confirm your name and 'lier up'!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Yogi Yogi:
[
I suspect that you may somehow be involved in law. Well, In another life I was too! :lol:
Nope, but I thought it would be good to know what I had to tell the police and what I don't. Canadian law is on the good side for what you do and do not have to say to the police, and unlike the US it's Federal one size fits all.
$1:
You are best to be polite in ALL interactions with law enforcement. State your name (as you noted0, and then 'lier up' and keep your fuckin mouth shut!

I didn't get the full conduct after capture course in the military, but I was given the 3 day crash course.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:57 pm

[quote="Xort"]
I I was given the 3 day crash course.[/quote]

I got the 'crash course' several times! :lol: BTW, the last time was exactly 32 years ago today.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:49 pm

EDIT: What little input I had to offer was covered by others.