Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:02 pm

We live in a "flexible" one. . .

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Work is not a democracy. You don't vote for your boss. They are not under any obligation whatsoever to hold on to you. They do not need a reason to get rid of you. Unless you're union, in which case the employer needs just cause. That was my take-away.

The guy posted "Thank God the bitch is dead on Amanda Todd's memorial Facebook page. Reason for dismissal could be "our company has a policy that we don't hire assholes" or "our company has a policy that we don't hire idiots." Either would suffice in this case. Hard to drum up much sympathy for the guy, really.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 pm

If he had said it in a bar, nothing would have happened. What happened to free speech?
Had he posted it on the website of the company, sure. Had he done it in the boss's time, yup.

(And NO, I don't agree with what he said, but he does have the right to say it)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Brenda,

Your premise is flawed.

Countless people have been fired for doing and saying stupid things outside of work, but within earshot of co-workers and employers.

The web is no different.

If they are your 'friend' on FB, they are within earshot.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:31 pm

peck420 peck420:
Brenda,

Your premise is flawed.

Countless people have been fired for doing and saying stupid things outside of work, but within earshot of co-workers and employers.

The web is no different.

EVERYONE is within earshot.
This guy posted something on a "RIP Amanda"-page. His boss was tracked down by a woman from Calgary (he is in Ontario), who informed his boss.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:45 pm

peck420 peck420:
Brenda,

Your premise is flawed.

The web is no different.

Didn’t you know?
If we want a job, not only do we have to completely conform to every belief system our employer holds, but also, keep our mouths shut on our OWN time just in case someone somewhere overhears us and tells “massa”.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Toastmaker Toastmaker:
bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Here's a thought: Don't 'Friend' your boss.

R=UP

My policy goes one further and is to not friend anyone I work with currently, though I will add past co-workers. Having a different name on FB than in real life usually helps people from tracking me down too.

Kind of defeats the purpose of FB, doesn't it? Here's another thought - post NOTHING you would not want on the front page of your area newspaper. . .

Not at all - I can still find friends and they can find me - provided they know the name I prefer in real life and not my legal name (kind of like Will instead of William). That weeds out random people and doesn't stop real friends from finding me.

And I don't post anything on FB that I wouldn't want in the newspaper.

Last year, I dropped all of my nieces and nephews after I found a couple of their posts with swears in them. I don't care that they swear - that is up to their parents to deal with - but I do care when people see posts like "F-This, F-That LOL" in MY stream. Even though not all of them posted like that, in the spirit of fairness I had to drop all or risk a major war with my siblings.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:53 pm

I posted something on FB last year. Turns out what I thought was just posting to a FB comment page was actually posting to a the comments section of a newspaper story (soe of them link to FB, I guess). Luckily I don't post anything to FB I wouldn't want the world to see, because in this case, I was literally broadcasting it to a very wide audience.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:03 pm

I've said it more than once. I don't say anything on the net that I wouldn't say face to face with anyone.
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
The guy posted "Thank God the bitch is dead on Amanda Todd's memorial Facebook page. Reason for dismissal could be "our company has a policy that we don't hire assholes" or "our company has a policy that we don't hire idiots." Either would suffice in this case. Hard to drum up much sympathy for the guy, really.

R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:06 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
I've said it more than once. I don't say anything on the net that I wouldn't say face to face with anyone.
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

R=UP

Well...that's no protection. :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Brenda Brenda:
peck420 peck420:
Brenda,

Your premise is flawed.

The web is no different.

This guy posted something on a "RIP Amanda"-page. His boss was tracked down by a woman from Calgary (he is in Ontario), who informed his boss.

Bold by me.

If you are stating something where everybody is in earshot, you better be able to handle the consequences of everybody hearing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Brenda Brenda:
peck420 peck420:
Brenda,

Your premise is flawed.

The web is no different.

Had he done that in a bar, the least of his worries might have been a firing.

It still might be.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:
Didn’t you know?
If we want a job, not only do we have to completely conform to every belief system our employer holds, but also, keep our mouths shut on our OWN time just in case someone somewhere overhears us and tells “massa”.

So, you want right but no responsibility?

You are free to say anything you want.

You are equally free to accept the consequences those statements bring.

Maybe people should look at this from the employers view.

Oh, that's right, employers have no rights, my mistake.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:25 pm

peck420 peck420:
Brenda Brenda:

Bold by me.

If you are stating something where everybody is in earshot, you better be able to handle the consequences of everybody hearing.

There goes free speech. Nice.
You (and I too) might as well shut up right here, and right now. Someone somewhere in the world might read this and not agree and go to your and my boss, for the sole purpose of getting us fired.
Guess that's ok with you.
I don't like gossip.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:30 pm

If your boss thinks you're a bad person, it's only a matter of time before they start to think you're a bad worker. Everybody makes small mistakes at their job now and then and if you're secretly under a microscope, a boss will eventually see to it that those mistakes justify your dismissal. Even without that, they can always say they're "making changes" or "going in a new direction", "reorganizing" etc. and just let you go under those circumstances...they would probably have to pay you severance in that case though.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 7  Next