CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:36 am

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:
That is ridiculous.
It is discriminatory too. They can't ask you if you are gay during an interview, but when they "find out", they can fire you for it "because it might harm the company"?

They can't fire you for being gay, a woman, black, for your religion, or any of those things. But if a company wants you gone, they'll find ways to do it anyway.

But they will still have to justify it. And a lot more companies today that engage in this "find something" behavior are being successfully sued in wrongful dismissal cases.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:36 am

Brenda Brenda:
andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:
That is ridiculous.
It is discriminatory too. They can't ask you if you are gay during an interview, but when they "find out", they can fire you for it "because it might harm the company"?

They can't fire you for being gay, a woman, black, for your religion, or any of those things. But if a company wants you gone, they'll find ways to do it anyway.

That's exactly my point.

Read my post above.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:37 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:
It does not matter what YOU said. My hypothetical example "hurts the company" financially, because it lost a customer.

IT STILL DOESN'T REFLECT THE COMPANY. That's the difference which you are failing to see.

Your little tidbit:
$1:
If what you're doing on your own time can potentially hurt the company either financially, or professionally, then I'm afraid they do have that right to terminate your employment.

$1:
$1:
ANY personal opinion can hurt any company. So shut up? Nice.

Again, show me where I said you can't show any opinion. What you, and others who think this is ridiculous, keep missing is that we do have free speech but you will be held accountable for the words you say.
Legally, yes. When you say something that is illegal, fine.

This guy was fired because a woman half a country away found something he said offensive. Not illegal, just offensive. How is firing him correct?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:41 am

Brenda Brenda:
This guy was fired because a woman half a country away found something he said offensive. Not illegal, just offensive. How is firing him correct?

Now show me were I said in his case it was correct. I said I had no sympathy for him but offered no opinion on legality.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:45 am

Brenda Brenda:

Because it does reflect badly on the company. Different culture here than in Holland, I guess. Not sure which is better. In Holland, let's say a company produces kosher goods, and one of their employees posts ugly but not illegal stuff about Jews, would and should they have to keep him on? This area seems like a tough one to decide.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:48 am

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

Because it does reflect badly on the company. Different culture here than in Holland, I guess. Not sure which is better. In Holland, let's say a company produces kosher goods, and one of their employees posts ugly but not illegal stuff about Jews, would and should they have to keep him on? This area seems like a tough one to decide.

They would have to let a judge decide.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:55 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:
That is ridiculous.

But they will still have to justify it. And a lot more companies today that engage in this "find something" behavior are being successfully sued in wrongful dismissal cases.

Isn't that the wrong way around tho?
Wouldn't it be more fair to have the employer ask a judge to let people go, instead of the unlawfully fired employee sue a wrongful dismissal?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 am

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

Because it does reflect badly on the company.
I don't even know which company we are talking about, so isn't the company just being a bit touchy?

$1:
Different culture here than in Holland, I guess. Not sure which is better. In Holland, let's say a company produces kosher goods, and one of their employees posts ugly but not illegal stuff about Jews, would and should they have to keep him on? This area seems like a tough one to decide.

DEFINITELY a different culture.
This guy however, did not say anything bad about the company or what it produces. He shared a personal opinion, on his own time, about something totally unrelated.
(however, an inappropriate opinion.)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:05 am

Brenda Brenda:

You want to force companies, who wish to fire someone, to use an already slow as molasses legal system? 8O
I have another question, Are you fucking nuts? :wink: :lol:

$1:
Wouldn't it be more fair to have the employer ask a judge to let people go, instead of the unlawfully fired employee sue a wrongful dismissal?

No it wouldn't, but it would slow things down to the point where a person could retire before a judge rules that he could be fired! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:16 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:

You want to force companies, who wish to fire someone, to use an already slow as molasses legal system? 8O

No, just Dutch.

A lot of Euros think this way, one of the reason they are doing so well
these days. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:20 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:

I think it is too easy to fire people in Canada, so yes, I would.
When you can just fire people for saying something in their own time, yes.

$1:
$1:

No it wouldn't, but it would slow things down to the point where a person could retire before a judge rules that he could be fired! :lol:

Ruling within 2 months or something.

Just because Canada is 20 years behind with so many things, doesn't mean that they shouldn't keep up :twisted:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR

martin14 martin14:
2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:

No, just Dutch.

these days. 8)

ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

martin14 martin14:
2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:

No, just Dutch.

these days. 8)

The Netherlands is actually doing fine.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:21 am

Brenda Brenda:

Just because Canada is 20 years behind with so many things, doesn't mean that they shouldn't keep up :twisted:

I'd say we're quite a bit ahead of the curve if you look at our economy. I think Martin nailed it! 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:22 am

Brenda Brenda:
The Netherlands is actually doing fine.

Of course. Other than those pesky Muslim enclaves and the price of gas and food more than double ours.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next