Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 pm

It's also worth bearing in mind that are companies that do nothing but mine personal data from sites like Facebook. So like it's been already said, post only what you're comfortable with other people knowing.

Though there are cases where it's gone way too far. I remember a story from the US where a teacher lost her job after she posted some pic from her vacation where she drinking wine.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Maybe we should have legislation that requires all fired employees to be fired for cause.

Then before you get fired for not liking the same hockey team your boss does, he has to think up a BS reason to fire you.

The only thing we can do now is avoid companies that dig into the personal lives of their employees.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 pm

In that case plan on being unemployed your whole life.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Brenda Brenda:
There goes free speech. Nice.
You (and I too) might as well shut up right here, and right now. Someone somewhere in the world might read this and not agree and go to your and my boss, for the sole purpose of getting us fired.
Guess that's ok with you.
I don't like gossip.

In what world does this impede free speech?

Free speech does not mean you can say anything you want without consequence. It just means you can say anything you want. No more, no less.

Or is it time that we remove any and all forms of consequence from our actions?

Good god, I really hope that world comes. It will be fun!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:11 pm

An employee has that kind of protection in the Netherlands. You just cannot fire someone without a good, professional reason.
I don't understand the way North America handles that.
"Do what I say, or collect welfare"
You on welfare? GO GET A JOB!
"But I only drank a glass of wine while on vacation!"

It is ridiculous.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:14 pm

peck420 peck420:
Brenda Brenda:
There goes free speech. Nice.
You (and I too) might as well shut up right here, and right now. Someone somewhere in the world might read this and not agree and go to your and my boss, for the sole purpose of getting us fired.
Guess that's ok with you.
I don't like gossip.

In what world does this impede free speech?

Free speech does not mean you can say anything you want without consequence. It just means you can say anything you want. No more, no less.

Or is it time that we remove any and all forms of consequence from our actions?

Good god, I really hope that world comes. It will be fun!

Was what he said against the law? NO.
Being fired because you said something while NOT at work, something that has nothing to do WITH work, is bullying, imho.

"You like to wear black?? FIRED!!"
"You're GAY?? FIRED!!"
"You date a black person?? FIRED!!!"

Slippery slope, my dear.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:17 pm

heh...at school formal meals here, the teachers' tables often have booze on them....not beer or wine, but the local hooch made from sorghum. At my wife's first school here, the principal had a fully stocked liquor cabinet in his office suite....yes , where he often had a nap

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 am

peck420 peck420:
Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:
Didn’t you know?
If we want a job, not only do we have to completely conform to every belief system our employer holds, but also, keep our mouths shut on our OWN time just in case someone somewhere overhears us and tells “massa”.

So, you want right but no responsibility?

You are free to say anything you want.

You are equally free to accept the consequences those statements bring.

Maybe people should look at this from the employers view.

Oh, that's right, employers have no rights, my mistake.

So what happens when your direct boss believes one thing and your executive level believes another different thing? Both have the ability to fire you, so if you placate one you offend the other and vice versa…

In that case the only solution is to continually keep our mouths shut at all times on all topics just in case someone is listening, even those that have no bearing on our place of employment.
Sure sounds like a free society with freedom of speech and expression to me…

Brenda is right. Unless I bring my opinions to work and disrupt that place of business they have no right to even look at what I do on my OWN time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:12 am

Brenda is right. Unless I bring my opinions to work and disrupt that place of business they have no right to even look at what I do on my OWN time.

If what you're doing on your own time can potentially hurt the company either financially, or professionally, then I'm afraid they do have that right to terminate your employment.

Like peck said, you can say whatever the hell you like no one is stopping you, but be prepared that what you say will be accountable in some form or another.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:17 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:

If what you're doing on your own time can potentially hurt the company either financially, or professionally, then I'm afraid they do have that right to terminate your employment.

Like peck said, you can say whatever the hell you like no one is stopping you, but be prepared that what you say will be accountable in some form or another.

That is ridiculous.
It is discriminatory too. They can't ask you if you are gay during an interview, but when they "find out", they can fire you for it "because it might harm the company"?

Anyone can make up any excuse to kick you out, then. "Yeah, s/he was drunk that one Saturday night and a customer complained and told me to fire them, because the customer's child is in rehab and they can't handle drunk people"
come on.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 am

Brenda Brenda:
That is ridiculous.
It is discriminatory too. They can't ask you if you are gay during an interview, but when they "find out", they can fire you for it "because it might harm the company"?

No it's not ridiculous. You also can't discriminate on race, colour, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, etc. But if you say things that reflect poorly on the organization they can let you go.

As well, if you deny being gay during an interview(as if a company would ask that) then admit later you are, there could be grounds for dismissal due to lying. 8)

Nice example that would NEVER happen in Canada.

$1:
Anyone can make up any excuse to kick you out, then. "Yeah, s/he was drunk that one Saturday night and a customer complained and told me to fire them, because the customer's child is in rehab and they can't handle drunk people"
come on.

Yeah, cause that's what I said. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 am

It does not matter what YOU said. My hypothetical example "hurts the company" financially, because it lost a customer.

ANY personal opinion can hurt any company. So shut up? Nice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:33 am

Brenda Brenda:
That is ridiculous.

They can't fire you for being gay, a woman, black, for your religion, or any of those things. But if a company wants you gone, they'll find ways to do it anyway.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 am

Brenda Brenda:
It does not matter what YOU said. My hypothetical example "hurts the company" financially, because it lost a customer.

IT STILL DOESN'T REFLECT THE COMPANY. That's the difference which you are failing to see.

$1:
ANY personal opinion can hurt any company. So shut up? Nice.

Again, show me where I said you can't show any opinion. What you, and others who think this is ridiculous, keep missing is that we do have free speech but you will be held accountable for the words you say.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 am

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:
That is ridiculous.

They can't fire you for being gay, a woman, black, for your religion, or any of those things. But if a company wants you gone, they'll find ways to do it anyway.

That's exactly my point.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next