canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 am

Strutz Strutz:
I think there is a mindset that there is an endless supply of water and electricity "out there". Regardless of any efforts to encourage conserving these vital necessities I'm quite certain most people continue to, in any small or large way, overuse them.

I spent a few years living in a remote community where most residents relied on rainwater collection for their cisterns and that water was used for pretty much everything but drinking.

The place I just sold had 10 acres that sloped into a dugout that stored rain runoff. I dug a ditch from it to a well about 20' deep. It ran from the dugout to the well through sand an gravel. A shed over top of the well had pumps and filtration equipment that fed the house with water for everything. With running my own septic system, you thought hard every time you flushed.

Nothing like filling up the tub with water when the forecast called for 30 below, because it was nearly impossible to keep the pumps and tanks from freezing solid. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:42 am

$1:
Nobel winner’s evolution from ‘dark realist’ to just plain realist on climate change

In a rapidly warming world, there are plenty of proposals for stopping, or even slowing down, climate change. Yet in the United States, divided by partisanship and special interests, it has been impossible to forge an ambitious climate policy possessing the speed and scale that scientists say is needed.

Enter William Nordhaus, a professor of economics at Yale University and winner of the Nobel Prize in economics for his work on climate change, with new urgency. In his latest book, “The Spirit of Green: The Economics of Collisions and Contagions in a Crowded World,” Nordhaus says there’s a better way to frame the problems of climate change — taxes, individual ethics, corporate responsibility — and come up with solutions.

The Washington Post’s Steven Mufson interviewed him recently. These are excerpts from the interview. They have been edited for clarity.

Mufson: One thing that struck me was the emphasis your book places on the responsibility of government when it comes to climate change.

Nordhaus: One of the big themes of the book is that we have over the last 200 or so years developed elegant and powerful theories about how the private sector works — its strengths, its weakness. We see all around us the miracles of the marketplace. But this does not apply to public goods. The book explains that in a well-managed society we must recognize the need for collective actions as well as actions of the private sector.

To deal with collective action when it comes to public goods will require some kind of government intervention. I don’t think of it as big government but as collective action.

Contagions are, in a way, the most obvious example. Like carbon dioxide, you can’t smell them or see them or taste them but they’re very dangerous. In the olden days they would kill, in the case of the black death, a quarter of the population. We can’t say, “Let the private sector handle it.” It just won’t work.

We want a way to organize collective activities. We want to do it in an effective way, an efficient way. We want to do things that are necessary, with the light hand of government solving problems at the minimal possible cost and minimum limits on our institutional freedoms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... n-pricing/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:34 pm

Looks like another year of Climate Change with Vancouver here. Stops raining so you have to run out and cut the lawn fast as you can before it rains more and grows another 3 inches.
When I first came here a 1 HP wheeless FlyMow did the trick. Then the electric gagged on it. 6 yrs back the 3.5 HP struggled. The 4.5HP can now barely keep up.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:24 am

$1:
Irreversible warming tipping point may have been triggered: Arctic mission chief

BERLIN (AFP) - The tipping point for irreversible global warming may have already been triggered, the scientist who led the biggest expedition to the Arctic warned Tuesday (June 15).

"The disappearance of summer sea ice in the Arctic is one of the first landmines in this minefield, one of the tipping points that we set off first when we push warming too far," said Dr Markus Rex.

"And one can essentially ask if we haven't already stepped on this mine and already set off the beginning of the explosion."

Dr Rex led the world's biggest mission to the North Pole, an expedition involving 300 scientists from 20 countries.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/euro ... sion-chief

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:49 am

$1:
Heat wave grips US West amid fear of a new, hotter normal

An unusually early and long-lasting heat wave brought more triple-digit temperatures Wednesday to a large swath of the U.S. West, raising concerns that such extreme weather could become the new normal amid a decades-long drought.

Phoenix, which is seeing some of the highest temperatures this week, tied a record for the second day in a row when it reached 115 degrees (46 Celsius) Wednesday and was expected to hit 117 (47 Celsius) each of the next two days, the National Weather Service said.

Scientists who study drought and climate change say that people living in the American West can expect to see more of the same in the coming years.

"Heat waves are getting worse in the West because the soil is so dry" from the region's megadrought, said Park Williams, a University of California, Los Angeles, climate and fire scientist who has calculated that soil in the western half of the nation is the driest it has been since 1895. "We could have two, three, four, five of these heat waves before the end of the summer."

A few clouds were holding the temperatures down slightly in the desert region of southwest Arizona and southeast California. But there was no real relief expected from the excessive heat warning in effect until at least Sunday. Palm Springs hit a high of 120 degrees on Tuesday,

https://phys.org/news/2021-06-west-hotter.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 am

But that's a dry heat. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:23 am

And Texas is experiencing blackouts because wind power.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:14 pm

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:44 pm

Scape Scape:

Yeah, right :roll:

NASA said the ice caps a the poles were expanding ten years ago, but they've suddenly changed their tunes, and are pushing the agenda hard these days. I used to be a huge fan of NASA and their space exploration projects, but now they just virtue signal and push political correctness.

I had to unfollow them on every social media platform because what they're doing is sickening. NASA isn't about space anymore.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:48 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Scape Scape:

Yeah, right :roll:

NASA said the ice caps a the poles were expanding ten years ago, but they've suddenly changed their tunes, and are pushing the agenda hard these days. I used to be a huge fan of NASA and their space exploration projects, but now they just virtue signal and push political correctness.

Show us these statements. Show us where they said the poles are expanding, and where they are virtue signalling, whatever that is this week.

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
I had to unfollow them on every social media platform because what they're doing is sickening. NASA isn't about space anymore.

-J.

You know, 'Earth' is in 'Space', right?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:22 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Show us these statements. Show us where they said the poles are expanding.

1) You make a lot of demands. I wasn't put on this planet to do your work for you.
2) https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/nasa-study-mass-gains-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses
3) I can't seem to locate the one from 2012 that showed NASA and NOAA both making the same discovery that the Arctic ice was also expanding instead of contracting.

You want more? Look it up. As you are fond of saying, "the answers are there if you want to see
them."

:idea:

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:54 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

1) You make a lot of demands. I wasn't put on this planet to do your work for you.
2) https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/nasa-study-mass-gains-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses
3) I can't seem to locate the one from 2012 that showed NASA and NOAA both making the same discovery that the Arctic ice was also expanding instead of contracting.

You want more? Look it up. As you are fond of saying, "the answers are there if you want to see
them."

:idea:

-J.

So when what they predicted in your link starts happening, it's suddenly an issue because you don't agree with it. So you turn off the information instead of altering your perception.

Sounds about right.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:53 am

Only wishy washy libtards can change their minds just because new information comes to light.
Not everyone needs to "believe" Science.

Remember: The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth.
The committee of conservatives that hashed together the Bible just left out the <What's Left Of> bit.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:54 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." How about that one?

I follow NASA quite a bit, so I'd remember if they said anything like the ice at the poles were increasing. And I was right, they didn't.

From your article:

$1:
To help accurately measure changes in Antarctica, NASA is developing the successor to the ICESat mission, ICESat-2, which is scheduled to launch in 2018. “ICESat-2 will measure changes in the ice sheet within the thickness of a No. 2 pencil,” said Tom Neumann, a glaciologist at Goddard and deputy project scientist for ICESat-2. “It will contribute to solving the problem of Antarctica’s mass balance by providing a long-term record of elevation changes.”

Fast forward to the new data,

NASA Finds 2021 Arctic Winter Sea Ice Tied for 7th-Lowest on Record

Do you think you can just make absurd claims without proving what you write? :lol: This isn't Twitter or Facebook.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2025 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 ... 135  Next